Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I'm grateful for old and used things...

Yesterday I was rear-ended. It wasn't bad at all so don't worry. I just have to say that I am so thankful for my old car, because first of all if I had a brand new car and I got rear-ended, I hate to say it but I think I would be furious, even if there were just a few scratches.
We bought the couch we have right now on craigslist for $300. At the time, I was really wishing we could of had a brand new fancy sofa from the design center. I saw one up there one day while I was shopping for clients. It was on sale and I called Aaron desperately trying to get him to say yes. Now I understand why we didn't need that since everyday spitup gets on it and dirty paws. This saves alot of headaches.

My wardrobe consists of thriftstore finds, Ross, Target, and H&M mainly. Why?? Cause I can only afford those #1, #2 because I know they will just get dirty and not fit after awhile. Believe me, I would love to have a completely different wardrobe full of Anthropologie, etc.

Maybe I am a little to materialistic. That is weird to say since being materialistic implies, "a person who is markedly more concerned with material things than with spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values."

I think what I mean is having old an used things keeps me from freaking out about things that shouldn't matter in life. I know myself to well that if I had the nicest things out there I would worry so much about something happening to them.

I am just thankful that I even have a car that runs and a comfy couch to come home to and clothes to keep me warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nuf said!

Molly said...

Well said, Dana. I really like that perspective.

And I love the music on your blog. I normally get really annoyed when music starts up on people's blogs, because I never like it. But I'll leave your blog page open after reading it just for the music.

Alice said...

Sorry about getting rear ended. I'm with you on the craigslist furniture. I just buy it and then PAINT IT!!!!

Sandy said...

Oh... I so love that about you Dana!
Sorry about the car!

Cheryl said...

Beautifully said! I totally agree. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Totally Dana. I agree. And I too would have a closet full of Anthropologie clothes if I could, but then I'd get mad when I got a bleach stain on everything.
So you know we're renting right now and our house is kind of cute but old (1957) and banged up in alot of places. I went to drop Eve and Thomas off at a playdate at a friend's house while I went to the doctor. Her house was new and smelled so nice- it was crisp, perfectly pollished and well maintained. I have to admit, when I got in the car to head to my doctor's appointment, I had to keep saying to myself, "don't cry, don't cry.. you're wearing make up... don't cry." I was 100% coveting her nice new house. But then when I came home and the dog peed on the kitchen floor, I just rolled my eyes and cleaned it up... no panic, it was only 1960's vinyl flooring. Right?