Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The baby is a.....

A lot of you may know the news already, but I am aware that some of you do not. So yesterday was the big day to find out what we are having and so we went into the radiology department for the ultrasound. It turns out our baby is to modest. He/She kept his/her legs crossed the whole entire time. The ultrasound tech was even trying to move the baby by jiggling the ultrasound tool on my belly a few times but that didn't work. So for the whole half hour or so the baby remained in one position with the legs crossed tightly, (which is pretty funny since that is how Aaron sleeps sometimes).

So it remains a mystery. Maybe we will just keep it a surprise and wait for the baby to be born to find out. That would be fun, but I really don't think I can wait that long.

My next monthly checkup is next Tuesday with my doctor and I am sure that when I tell him that we still don't know, he will wheel the ultrasound machine into the room and try to check for me. The bad news is is that Aaron will be out of town next week, so if I do find out, he won't be there to share the moment. So maybe I will wait another month. I know Aaron won't care one way or another. I mean, he would be happy to be there but news is news to him. He probably would want me to find out even if he wasn't there.

I always had in my head this magical moment of lying there on the bed with my husband at the foot of the bed and both of us watching the ultrasound machine anticipating to find out what the baby will be. But no, that is not at all how yesterday went. First of all I got in trouble for not having a full bladder. The first thing she said to me was, "didn't anyone tell you that you need to have a full bladder?!" I mumbled back to her, "nnnooo", very softly. Then I looked at Aaron and he shook his head yes. Apparently, our doctor did tell us to do so, but I completely forgot. So as I lied there with complete silence in the room for a half hour, I prayed that she would be able to see clearly the images of our baby. Oh and please note that all along, I could not see the screen at all. So I just lied there looking back and forth at her face, Aaron's mad face, and the wall and tears started coming down my face. I started thinking what if something is wrong with the baby and that is why it is so silent. Finally, Aaron's mad look turned into a loving look and he comforted me and I mouthed to him, "Is the baby okay?" (cause I was to afraid of the tech lady to say any thing outlound." He said, "yes, everything is fine." Finally when she was done, she turned the screen to face me and she showed me our cute little modest baby moving around (except for the legs). That put a huge smile on my face. I could see the little heart beating, the spine, the nose, the hands, and then I thought to myself, "well, the baby is healthy and content and that is all that matters at this point."

So, maybe we will find out or maybe we won't.....

6 comments:

Ella said...

Hey, thanks for the update. How frustrating! Hopefully you can find out soon. That would be killing me. That is sad that you were so worried and that it was so quiet/awkward in there. Our ultrasound was magical either if that means anything. I"m glad he/she is healthy!

Kisten Downey said...

Oh I am so sorry that you were so sad! I am so glad your baby is healthy too... that is all that matters. Maybe next month you'll find out Waiting til the end is soooooo hard but it is so fun too,
I love the memory that you wrote. I completely forgot that my cat peed in your sleeping bag. That is so funny! I think one of my favorite memories with you was making up our song...
one, one, one for my best friend and two, two, two, for my ice cream and three... I can't remember.. but those were good times!
Oh, his name was Hank Smith!

Erica said...

We would love to know what you are having if you decide to know. I am sorry you had a bad experience. What was up with that? If it helps at all, Steve wasn't there for Tyler's ultrasound. But that was our third and it is different when it is your first. Plus we thought it was just another girl. We were suprised when they said it was a BOY! We love you Dana

Liz Galvin said...

I bet you're dying! We need to tell that little bambino to move his legs. That's too funny or not so funny. Good luck next week. Keep us posted.

cheryl said...

What a sweet story. I love how you described it. I am so glad you married Aaron. He is such a great guy. Love you both. And a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Aaron tomorrow.

Laura said...

oh Dana, I know just how you feel. Having an ultra sound can be so frustrating and scary.. like you said, you just lay there and watch to see the slightest twinge on the technician's face. I'm glad to hear that everything sounds just fine with the baby. We can't wait to hear the news, but if he/she is modest again- it'll be worth the wait! We LOVE you Dana!